Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Sinister Snapshot

Halloween is approaching....it sort of goes by unrecognized at our house.  We have no little children to dress up and carve pumpkins with.  Costumed kids do not knock on our door for candy (because we live in the middle of nowhere).   Even our grandkids are no-shows because we are out of the way.  So, we buy our favorite sweet treats (just in case - yeah, we say - as we wouldn't want to send a youngster away with a can of ravioli) and then we proceed to eat all this candy while watching evening news after supper meal.

I enjoy how some of my adult friends spend time developing elaborate costumes.  One year we did get invited to a fun Halloween party and we spray-painted old cardboard to make Hershey bar costumes.  Needless to say, we did not win any prizes for effort or creativity.  I don't think I ever really enjoyed dressing up for Halloween.  I have a hard enough time just dressing up to be me.  When I was a girl, of course the thing was to wear those hard plastic masks that were extremely hot and uncomfortable.  I know they had to be unsafe and are probably now outlawed for various reasons, including the fact that children couldn't breathe or see where they were going while wearing one.

But, if you enjoy the season, you may be especially pleased at the resurgence of scary movies during the month of October.  TV stations are playing all the Stephen King classics, seventy-five Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, Children of the Corn, the 'Halloween' namesake films and more...Which brings me to the purpose of posting this photograph from the 70's.  I have tried to recall the situation and cannot.  But I am certain it's me pictured here in flannel pajamas and Mom has just taken my hair down from those pink plastic foam rollers so probably we were about to go to church or something.  It's obviously cool out, the trees have dropped their leaves so I suppose fall was over and if this was like every other day, we were doing chores - which included tending to our farm animals outside.  All very innocent stuff right!

For some reason though, my brother thinks I look like a possessed child from a horror film in this photograph.   I admit the sky is gray, the smile is a little sinister (but hey, have you met me?) and of course innocence is often a good disguise, and one of my arms looks longer than the other which might be a freaky thing in itself.  What you can't see in the photo is the bloody ax behind me and those five neighbor children running down the driveway screaming for rescue.  Just kidding.  There were only 4 frightened neighbor children at that point.

Really, it's just a snapshot that somehow caught my brother's attention one day when we were looking at old pictures.  We have laughed about it a thousand times and I hope and pray we all live long enough to laugh about it another thousand more....and as long as my brother minds his manners, maybe he will survive my wrath.   On the other hand, mess with either one of my brothers and the body count is sure to rise.  (Cue the evil witch laughter)πŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆBe safe on Halloween.  Watch out for the little ones.  Their parents also still need chocolate too.

No comments:

Blog Archive