Monday, September 24, 2018

Transverse Sinus Vein....Yes, You Have This

Inside a person's skull resides a transverse sinus vein.  There's lots of veins above the neck.  It's sort of like winding roads, curving and circling around up and down a mountain.  It serves a purpose just like a road to transport something from place to place.  It's important.  It sort of keeps a body alive.  The transverse sinus vein inside my head is blocked; the blood isn't traveling through as it should.  Not in breakneck Manic Monday speed.  Not in normal everyday average speed.  Not even slow in Sunday-afternoon-driver speed.  Blocked.  Not right.  The surgery I had in April last year worked for a while but now my neurologist says I'm "back to square one".

The transverse is the horizontal one going sort of left to right on this diagram here.  I have a titanium stent already in the right side which helped for about a year.  But, now it's not enough to keep me going.  My MRI shows both right and left sides are blocked.  Reason unknown.  Probably forever unknown.

So, in early October when people begin to travel the winding roads of beautiful Arkansas to look at fall leaves and pretty valleys, I will be checking into the hospital in Little Rock to have some repair work on the brain.  I'm not looking forward to it but if I don't do it, I won't be looking at anything.  It's so simple-yet when I break it down, I don't really feel any better about the options.  And, I'm confident Arkansas has some of the best medical care available.

For the next few weeks or months, you will find me to be disorganized and unprepared.   Very little housekeeping will be taking place.  The dog needs a bath.  Our cars are dirty.  I am having trouble seeing, hearing, speaking and even sleeping.   I am not enjoying social events or wearing the latest fall fashion.  If I love you, you know it.  If I don't, now is not the time to whine or ask for a favor.  I have even less patience than usual.   Hopefully, post-surgery, all will regulate back to normal again...until then, I can't tolerate much bright light, rude behavior, shrill noises, blatant arrogance or spicy food. (Actually, that's probably going to stay the same...but I guess that's okay.)

Happy Fall in Arkansas-Take time to enjoy the season with people you like to be around.  If you don't like to be around certain people, there's no better time than now to go your own way.  And, may the winding road you choose to travel not be blocked, like my transverse sinus vein!   If it is, don't give up on getting where you want to go. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

See the great big vein going right up and over the top of the skull? Mine was completely blocked about 5 years ago. First I knew of it was when I suddenly felt like I had been hit in the back of my head with a bat. I was in Little Rock, and my brother-in-law took me to Baptist Emergency Room--DON'T go there if you have a serious problem. They just blew me off, said I had a migraine, despite my insisting I had never had a migraine and this was feeling like what I had heard about them. When I was finally seen about 2.5 hours after arrival, I was sent immediately for a brain scan and then another more powerful scan. The neurologist said he didn't know why I was still alive, but I was sent to intensive care and give meds to start dissolving the clot. I went home with a med I had to inject into my abdomen every day, to be replaced after a week with coumadin, which I still take. Eventually, the clot was absorbed and all has been well since then. The neurologist said there was no way to know why it happened or why it wasn't fatal. Just lucky I guess. I hope you share in my luck as you are treated for your blockage!!!

Blog Archive