Monday, September 10, 2018

The River Vs. The Ray-Bans

At the risk of revealing my old age, I remember when Ray-Ban sunglasses made the stage.  To have Ray-Ban's in your possession really made you something.  The right people wore them - Tom Cruise in Risky Business, Don Henley in the Boys of Summer video on MTV, and as usual, all the cool kids had them.  "I wear my sunglasses at night....." wasn't written about no-name brand mirrored UV protection, kids.

Of course, this was not a particular lucrative time of my life.  I worked part-time to pay my room and board and was blessed with a kind-hearted roommate.  Said roommate's car was usually fueled and available for emergency transport.   It was an adequately challenging and character-building situation but not financially-rewarding.  No way I was buying luxurious Ray-Ban sunglasses.  I couldn't even afford the truck stop knock-offs but if I had a 'bucket list' back then, other than basic survival from day to day, becoming the owner of Ray-Ban's was on it.

Life rolled on and college ended and I suppose several dozen pairs of plastic, non-descript types of sunglasses came in and out of my life, like lots of other things.  Many times I stopped at the kiosks in shopping malls to peruse the Ray-Bans.  I picked up a few pairs and delicately placed them back on the display case.  I watched the styles evolve for more than a decade.  I noticed the brilliant ads in fashion magazines and I admit envy on occasion.  Still, I continued wearing my discount store eye protection and wondering how much cooler I would be if I could only afford 'real sunglasses'.

And then, I ended up in New Orleans for a work training.  I was finally earning more than $3.25 an hour so I caved to the pressure and arrived back to Arkansas with a standard, though somewhat old style, pair of authentic Ray-Ban sunglasses with the little white writing on the lens.  And all was right with the world.  For about two weeks.

Until float trip time on Spring River.  And, I knew better.  (This is still the hardest part.)  I most definitely knew better.

Summers in Arkansas are wonderful.  It's hot and sunny and respite comes from water. And icy cold beverages.  Many days I've spent in or around Spring River.  Camping, cooking, swimming, just living...this particular summer I was living cooler simply because I had Ray-Ban's.  Somewhere there may be a photograph (if I'm lucky, that would be the only evidence to prove this blog story) taken during those couple weeks when I was so cool.  You know, before the float trip.  Before Spring River took my treasure.

As I recall, our group put in our float gear about ten in the morning with about a three hour downward on the river to take out, just like we'd done all our lives.  I know there's millions of things at the bottom of the river.  I grew up watching things sink.  Only this Saturday, what sunk was my new sunglasses.  And my overgrown ego.

Our day was usual - laughs and fun.  Always was.  When we reached the deepest part of the river journey, my Ray-Ban's jumped off my face into the mirky wet.  I instinctively jumped down after them.  Not frantic but determined.  Until I realized I was about to drown.  I had to decide my life was worth more than my treasure.  My life became my treasure.  My Ray-Ban's may or may not have been heading back to New Orleans via the Mighty Mississippi.  Either way, they were gone.  My cool-ness was over.  I let the river take it, metaphorically speaking.

So, I returned to the un-cool life of discount store eyewear.  I never even got to experience buyer's remorse, rather I went directly to anger for wasting my hard-earned money on something I didn't take care of.  Thankfully, I was smart enough to choose wisely more than not since then.  Lots of invaluable things have come and gone, washed to the bottom never to be seen again.  I have to tell myself I'm not the only pirate on the water some days.  But, life takes a toll and we worry less about 'cool' and magically that's when we become what we wondered if we could be.

These days, I need glasses to assist my vision.  I have readers for detail work.  I wear glasses for driving.  My eyes are very sensitive to light so I do have sunglasses and sometimes wear them at times other people might find odd.  I don't really care.  My treasure is my vision.

This summer, after saving up, yes, I am the proud owner of new Wayfarers with progressive lenses (no bi-focals for this old cool lady).  Tortoise-shell frames and mirrored lens - just in case someone wants to see themselves in me.  Classic Ray-Ban case to keep them safe when they're not on my face.

And you can be assured, these Ray-Bans will not be hitting Spring River anytime soon.  I left treasure there in exchange for lessons learned and time traded for many sweet memories of growing up.

By the way, 90's fashion trends are back.  The river is still running the same direction and I have had a wonderful life!


No comments:

Blog Archive