Thursday, February 01, 2018

My friend Jeffrey got his angel wings this week...

Way back in 1984, the faculty at Sloan-Hendrix High School honored me and my classmate Jeff by choosing us as Mr. and Miss SHHS.  I looked at the yearbook my mom keeps in the file cabinet back in October and snapped this photo of a photo on a page (using my new iPad).  I hadn't looked at the yearbooks in a long, long time....

I was shocked (and still am when I think about it) that I was chosen for this honor.  I didn't think I was motivated to meet the expectations of 'success'.  Nothing about me was special or represented the kind of student with potential for leadership or civic duty.   I was a big Miss Nobody.

But, I wasn't surprised Jeffrey was chosen.  He was kind to everyone, played basketball, helped work at his family's business and still had time to build things in shop class.  I did think my friend was going to be successful in life....and frankly, I expected we would live forever at that point.

Anyway, this trip down memory lane last fall was a chance for me to reflect on whether or not I had turned out okay.  I found a poem I'd written about graduating and the yearbook adviser was kind enough to suggest it be printed.  I laughed at some of the pictures of what our hair looked like in the 80's and fashion (such as it was).

How was I to know that in 3 short months, my lifelong friend would be getting his angel wings??!!  Needless to say, when I heard about his passing on Tuesday, I went searching through the hundreds of digital photos to look at this one.  And, I kept looking at it over and over.  And, I cried all day long and some too since then.

Jeffrey Allen Witt was important to me.  We didn't see each other a lot but I have no doubt he knew how much I loved him.   We had lots of fun growing up, being teenagers, and recently just telling stories and talking about life.   Our paths went different ways and I don't honestly even know all the trials he went through.   In 2017, over thirty years since graduation from high school, we had reconnected.   Few card games on Fridays, couple of road trips searching for drivers' licenses, and some times I worried about him even.  When I talked to him last week, he said he felt kinda bad but then put a positive spin on the conversation, probably just for my benefit.

Jeff inspired me this past year especially with his faith, his willingness to forgive and his compassion for other people.  He literally was the guy who would give away the shirt on his back.  I know for a fact he's done that.  I know he gave cash to people who looked distraught, when he really didn't have much to share.  I know he loved his kids with all his heart.  He loved his little terrier.  He cared about my family too just like his own.  Fine humor allowed him to laugh at the irony of life.

I will never forget you Jeffrey.  Thank you for the gifts of your time and respect.  That makes me feel like I lived up to the expectation of Miss SHHS.  I'm selfishly sad that should I text you to check in and say "I love you friend", there would be no response - but I'm so proud for you.  Heaven's where you can sit again with your Mom and help her watch over things.  Don't be up there carpentering mansions 24/7.   Save up a few 'religion jokes' for me, enjoy those angel wings...
And, P.S. Your Christmas present is still in the back seat of my Tahoe.

No comments:

Blog Archive