Friday, February 02, 2018

Life's Little Irony At A Funeral

Today was filled with irony....it was so thick I could've cut it with a knife.  Elephants in the room...

So many of my fellow classmates and friends gathered today to show support for the family of Jeff Witt as he was laid to rest.  There's no doubt he was loved.  But, I saw tons of ironic things and not just people interacting but situations also.

It's impossible to explain without long drawn out stories but here are a few quick examples:

1.  It was cold, but the sun was so bright and sparkly.  Totally misleading...
2.  I'd worked a lot to get my accompaniment music downloaded for a song at the service.  I said several times yesterday that I would not give up...I would not be defeated.  I lost that one.  My music didn't play as planned.  I gathered up my pride and did what I could.  Jeffrey would've laughed about it.  I know he would've.  It wasn't about me.
3.  People who were unkind were kind.  I hope that trend continues.
4.  My multitude of shared hugs are engraved in my memory.  It was honestly a happy time to see friends I haven't seen in years.   But, incredibly, I remain sad.  I didn't want to leave those embraces.
5.  Friends drove many, many miles to honor their relationships.  Mark came from Florida, Randy from Texas, Cindy from Pocola and so on.  Yet, people two blocks away didn't darken the door.  We all deal with loss in our own way.  And, that's okay.
6.  A family member thanked me!  Me....I didn't do anything.  It was me who needed to be thankful.  And, I am thankful.  And, I am heartbroken.
7.  My friend who loves the warm climate is working mostly now in the North.  He deserves a beach.  He deserves the tropical relaxation of the beach STAT.  Hell of a good guy.  One of my favorite people on Planet Earth.
8.  My mother baked a cake for the meal her church was preparing for the family.  She used two farm fresh eggs from a dozen she'd been saving for me.  I'm amazed how her love motivates her.  And, I have only ten eggs now to put away in my fridge.  That's sharing!
9.  All the funeral talk about heaven made me very acutely aware of my own mortality.  I don't think I fear death as much as I do losing those I hold dear in my heart.
10.  Perhaps the most ironic of all is that I don't really like people.  But today, people sustained me.  People banned together for a common purpose and helped each other.  Why can't it be so simple for me every day?  Um, I'm a Leo.  I'm a product of my own devices.

Some things in this world just don't make sense.  Say what you need to say whether it will be popular or not.  Tell people if you love them.  If you don't, just pretend they're not in the room.  Take the opportunity to go back into glorious things of the past even though you are ever-presently trapped in the current situation.

Irony can be quite simple or vastly complex.  It can go unnoticed.  But, it might provide answers to some of the things in our world that doesn't make sense.   Break out the butter knife and slice into the irony if you dare.  Either way, love is real.  People are too.  My friends are still the same people and I love them for the same reasons I always did.  The ironic thing is perhaps I am changed.  It's taken me a lot of years to pretend someone isn't really in the room.  Maybe I'm the elephant...

No comments:

Blog Archive