Friday, November 19, 2021

Who Brings Out The Best & The Worst....

Greetings....Got my COVID booster shot and it was not super fun-like going to breakfast with my cousin or hearing some live music with my friends.  But, I got vaxxed up against COVID this week nonetheless before the holidays begin.

To celebrate my accomplishment, I decided to crack open a bottle of wine we brought home from vacation in St. Augustine.  (I guess transporting wine is legal????)  So, tonight as I was having a nice glass of Vinters White, I was thinking about what a nice day it had been.

Here's why:

1.  Had coffee with my granddaughter 

2.  Went to lunch with a best friend

3.  Made dinner with my partner

4.  Settled in with wine and the dog baby

Now, what all this has in common was really obvious to me upon quick reflection.  These are things that bring out the best in me (gives me joy and purpose) as well as the worst in me (shows my flaws and ways I fail) without any pretense. 

My family looks for me to offer my best, but when I am at my worst, they still recognize me.  My dear friends know when I am at my best and as trusted confidants and supporters they've seen me low.  My partner always brings out the best or worst in me because we're fire and ice yet we  prioritize our relationship.  Wine and the dog just are along for the ride without even making any assessments.  All are cheering for me to be happy, thriving and well.  I am always cheering for them to be happy, thriving and well.  Wine, um,  it's just cheering.... (wink**)

Is it my personality type or not?  Why do I even ponder such ideas?  Who knows...but these four things represent a great day to me, playing off my generally introverted/mildly-extroverted-at-times nature.  I sincerely wish for all of you to have safe spaces to shine at your best and be encouraged at your worst.  And, I hope you make time for yourself as we launch into the holidays next week.  

It's going to be another challenging winter and I know some of my best and worst days are coming.  We all have 'em in life.  One is needed in order to identify the other.  I plan to make time for my own mental health, cherishing my best days until I meet one of my worst days; then I will punt to that fourth agenda item above and repeat the list again.  

P.S. "Miss you Dad"...

No comments:

Blog Archive