Monday, February 26, 2018

Hundreds of Helpers

In this day and age of technology coupled with social media, it's remarkable how our communication channels work.  This afternoon I was sitting at the kitchen table talking to my mother as I sent a text to my brothers in just a quick second.  I find communication important in all walks of life.  It's easy now and there's no excuse not to do it....Then I digressed back to earlier days when I lurked near the single telephone hanging by the front door of our home, just in case someone called.  Especially in the summertime when I hoped one of my friends from school would call to break up the boredom.

Also in those days, it wasn't possible to communicate with someone automatically like I did today as soon as I wanted to.  In 1982, it might have required a bit of patience if a neighbor was already occupying that one line the four households 'shared'.  I smiled to myself and  consciously thought about how great my life has been and how good youth flies by.  I wished for simpler times like those were....no telemarketers, no spam (other than that meatlike stuff in a can), no cyber-bullying, no Facebook posts about whatever it is I am trying to ignore....

Later today when I logged on to catch up on my email and Facebook notices, I was overwhelmed.  Absolutely overwhelmed....HUNDREDS OF MESSAGES and NOTES from friends offering condolences, kind words,  and thoughtful reflections about the tremendous loss of my father this month.  I made an effort to acknowledge each one because every single one was so meaningful to me.  Some were from people I haven't seen in months, years, eons.  Others were written in states I may never get to again but where people care about my sorrow.

Social media can be dark, evil and mean but so can people.  But it doesn't have to be.  It can also be such a positive tool to help a fellow human, one who chooses to grieve publicly,  in times of sadness.  And, it's right at the fingertips.  It's like being a wizard with the superpower to make a difference, to brighten someone's day, to acknowledge a beautiful sunrise - all the while right where you are sitting comfortably in pajamas and fuzzy socks (and the pointy wizard hat if you do).

Thank you.  My sincerest thank you, to all the hundreds of helpers.  You know who you are and you mean the world to me.  Lots of nice things have been said about my father's character.  I've heard some fun stories about my Dad from people who knew him in a different way than I did.   Some things made me laugh; others brought a tear to my eye.  I needed both.  Much love to my online friends.  💑   I appreciate your social media gestures...Keep waving the magic wand, my beloved hundreds of helpers.

No comments:

Blog Archive