Saturday, August 12, 2023

Going Uphill...

One day my dad told me a story about being sent down to the field by his mother (my Nan) to deliver a message that it was time to come in for supper.  The message was being sent to his father (my Papaw Ashlock) who'd been out there most of the day walking behind a mule and plow to break up dirt for planting.

Daddy said he was about ten years old, tired, hungry and anxious to get back to the house after he told Papaw what he was supposed to know.  He watched Papaw unhook his mule from the plow and he saw an opportunity to climb on the bay and ride back to the house rather than walk uphill.  


So, thinking it a right smart idea, Daddy hopped on the mule's bare back.  Then immediately the mule turned and began to move straight toward home.  Daddy had no harness, reins or means to direct the mule.  But, it steadily walked the distance right through their yard into the barn where a corn crib was affixed to the wall.  My dad jumped off the bay when it began to eat and went to report to Nan that he had completed his chore.

Papaw arrived a while later to the kitchen and asked Daddy how he got to the house so fast.  When my father explained he'd ridden the plow mule up, Papaw said "that mule ain't broke to ride", meaning no one had been on the back of the mule until that night. Daddy said Papaw remarked the mule knew it had to walk uphill and was probably too tired to disagree about the matter.  As far as my dad could recall, however, no one ever did try to ride downhill on a morning when the mule was freshly rested.  

I guess we all get so tired some days we just want to go to the barn and it doesn't matter if we need to carry a few extra pounds uphill to get there.  So, if the work day is done, we are just going to the barn because we can and we feel fulfilled in our work.  Sometimes we have to carry extra weight for the good of the cause.  And, so we do.

My Aunt Margrhea spoke of how Papaw would sit tearfully in his chair after he reached the age he could no longer get up and go to work....each morning.  I always joked about how he just didn't want to be inside with Nan.  He was the sweetest man.  He'd walk downhill to work, knowing he'd be exhausted on the way back, probably sometimes exhausted on the way down but he went.  Maybe he found peace in doing what he knew how to do and maybe it was just a matter of routine.  I wish I could ask him about that now.  I also wish I could tell him how much I loved his company.

Perhaps I am outdated in my upbringing but I believe what we should strive for is peace of mind in life and I realize that looks different to every person.  My father was definitely his father's son in wanting to provide as best he could for his family.  He went to work with the flu, a broken bone, whatever...and he passed that on.  He'd hold court at the dinner table and say "Show up early and stay late!", "Work smarter not harder!" and other things that reminded us to be valued at our jobs.  But my strongest motivation was a desire to make my parents proud of the person I was turning out to be, work or otherwise.  And, I was mighty glad sweet Papaw had my school picture in his wallet right up until the end.  I hope that means he was proud of me too.

My gosh....I went uphill, off the trail and back on, during this thought-unlike the mule which was actually pretty smart.  

No comments:

Blog Archive