Friday, February 23, 2018

Dating @ Wal-Mart on Friday

This morning I brought my Daddy's parakeets home with me from Muddy Lane.  I hope to find a good home for them (so if you're reading this and would like to adopt two sweet little birds, message me) where they will be enjoyment to someone.  Daddy kept them about two feet away from his recliner and he really did enjoy watching them and listening to them chirp a bit.  Although, I'm fairly sure he couldn't hear them much.  The TV was always up too loud...

On my way home, I had to dash into Wal-Mart for some bird seed, Fritos and bananas.  I ended up adding some Reeses candy, a pineapple, gum and a 12-pack of beer.  I avoid Wal-Mart in protest because I don't think they pay their employees enough - but sometimes I realize I can't be so spiteful to the point that I totally inconvenience myself.

So, I'm waiting in a long checkout line and the sweet little manager directs me to Line #2 for quicker service.  I head that way and see a very small woman wearing dark sunglasses finalizing her transaction.  Right behind her is a regular-looking guy with a frozen pizza and two other things.  I'm feeling good about the situation.  Gotta get out of here as soon as humanly possible.

But, the situation was weird.   Small woman only appeared to be finishing her transaction.  She has longer fingernails than I've ever seen and is getting cash back from her credit card.  She doesn't like the bills the cashier gave her so she decides to switch twenty dollar bills for fives....all the while talking with regular-looking guy who says something like this:
"I'm actually from New York.  I'm a professional logger.  But I like Arkansas because you can buy a house for $5000.  I'm looking for a lady friend but these Southern women down here are just hard to get along with.....I'd like to have a woman to spend my money on....yeah, I'm about to go to probate court because my Dad just died and I'm getting $4.3 million now.  You'd think that would help me get a nice lady.  But, I guess I'll have to go back to New York to find a good woman."

Small lady says "I'm originally from New York" and finally walks away with professional logger....the  cashier tells me the woman comes into the store often enough to be known for calling the employees 'dumb hicks' and usually claims to be from Florida.

Dating at Wal-Mart might be about as effective as FarmersOnly.com but I'm standing in line with my less-than-20-items wishing these people would take their chit chat and go anywhere but in my way.  I guess I live in my own little world too much.  I had two little birds in my Tahoe that I needed to get back to!

My mother often says that it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round.  And that's her way of explaining situations like my weird experience at Wal-Mart.  I have always admired how she loved her job as a door greeter at the Pocahontas Wal-Mart.  She really did look forward to standing at the entrance to the store and welcoming people for hours on end.  To me, that would be pure torture.  (I'm one of those Southern girls that's just hard to get along with although regular-looking guy had no idea how I was biting my tongue.)  To Mom, it was natural.  She loves people.

I think I'll stick with the birds.  The smaller of the two is green and yellow.  The other's blue mostly.  Actually, I'm a little blue myself.

No comments:

Blog Archive